Are Vitamins and Supplements the Same?
The human body needs vitamins and minerals in order to stay healthy. But a lot of people take supplements regularly to make sure they get enough of the essential nutrients. Knowing the difference between vitamins and supplements is important to be aware of how and where you must supplement your diet.
Vitamins Play a Role in Bodily Functions
While vitamins naturally exist in the body, they latter cannot synthesize them. Vitamin intake depends on one’s diet as the majority of vitamins are found in food. But, those who don’t get enough vitamins from their diet are recommended to take supplements to stay healthy. Vitamins play significant roles in the body. They ensure the body is strong enough to fight against illnesses and complications.
Kinds of Vitamins
There are different kinds of vitamins that play a specific role in the body. They include:
- Vitamin A. This vitamin is responsible for the formation and maintenance of healthy skin, bone, soft tissue, teeth, and mucus membranes.
- Vitamin B complex. These vitamins are important in terms of red blood cell production, metabolism, and maintenance of central nervous system and brain function.
- Vitamin C. This vitamin helps repair and regenerate tissues. They aid iron absorption and protect the body against heart diseases.
- Vitamin E. This helps in maintaining healthy eyes and skin. It strengthens the ability of the body to defend itself against infections and diseases.
- Vitamin K. It plays an important role in blood clotting. It is used for reversing the effects of blood thinning medicines if too much is provided.
Supplements as a Catch-all Term
Supplements are vitamins, minerals, or nutrients you add to your dietary intake. They should be taken if the body is not making enough naturally-synthesized molecules. While not all supplements are vitamins, all vitamins are supplements since they do not occur naturally in the body, and must be incorporated into the diet.
Vitamins, micronutrients, and minerals are important for each of the body’s enzymatic process. Supplementing major vitamins, micronutrients, and minerals that the body lacks allows such essential processes to normally continue in the body, ensuring optimum health. Nick’s Drugs Store, a Pharmacy in Bronx, New York, has dietary supplements you may need.
To Take or Not to Take Supplements
The need to take certain supplements depends upon what your current nutrition levels are. Supplements are only meant to fix the deficiency. Blood tests can help evaluate the need for supplements.
A number of supplements may have side effects, especially when taken before a surgical operation or with some medicines. Also, they can cause issues if you are suffering from health problems. Some supplements may have effects that are not tested in pregnant women, children, and other groups. This is the reason you must consult with your healthcare provider first. Also, our Compounding Pharmacy has qualified pharmacists you can talk to about the supplements you can take.
If you need supplements and Medicine in Bronx, New York, call 347-590-1030.